ePUB Ebooks: Adobe PDF may be the most popular document format on the web but there’s a reason why eBook lovers prefer the ePub format over PDF. In 2007, ePub has emerged as the most supported file format for eBooks. The main reason being, it consists of open eBook standard which can be easily adopted by any popular electronic device (Smart Phones, Computers and Tablets) maker. The other important in PDF documents have a static layout with fixed page breaks but the layout of an ePUB document is “responsive” meaning it will automatically adjust for different screen sizes.
The other good and easy way is that all those who are on the hunt for an easy way to convert their online documents to an eBook-friendly format might be aware that, Google providing that it would now let the readers save their documents directly to the ePub format.
ePub is not only effective means of publishing but also helps converting documents into a format which can be played on any digital devices. Google has introduced few options in its file menu. It does work with any Google doc file, and it is designed especially for longer form of content which includes academic paper and of course an ebook.
How to create eBooks with Google Docs?
On the web, the popular document format is Abode PDF but many eBook lovers love the ePub format over PDF for a simple reason that PDF documents have a static layout with fixed page breaks but the layout of an ePUB document layout is “responsive” meaning it will automatically adjust itself for different screen sizes.
Readers can read an ePub book on their desktop or on their Android phone by visiting Google Play Book app. The font family as well as text size can be adjusted since the ePub files are HTML5 documents which offer improved reading experience to the users.
How to Make Your ePub eBooks?
You can create ePub eBooks with Adobe Stanza and Calibre (the most popular desktop software’s used for creating ePub eBooks).
- Users can write a document in Google document or they should upload an existing Microsoft word file to their Google drive.
- Then go to the File menu and select download as ePub publication.
- To upload an eBook, click on the upload files button, the files would be only visible to the individuals.
- To upload an eBook, simply click on the upload files button, the specific files would be only visible to these users.
Here’s an ePUB version of this article, generated with Google Docs.
You get an ePub file that you can copy to your mobile phone or, better still, upload the ePub to the Google Books website and access the ebook from anywhere. You can even read it in the browser.
To upload an eBook to Google Books, go here and click the Upload Files button. The files are only visible to you.
ePub files are readable on iPad, Nook and Google Play books. Amazon Kindle doesn’t support the ePub format but there’s an easy way to convert ePub into MOBI format that is supported by Kindle.
Considerations while Writing eBooks
- The content writers should choose possible chapter topics (table of content) and then put them in an order.
- Ownership is significant, so periodically they should check their progress. The checklists are a great form of self-assessment.
- Each section should have one relevant image. Do some research to know where and how to find them.
- Creating as well as publishing an eBook is a great tool for digital citizenship.
- Decide on the format and book covers for eBooks.
- Creating and publishing eBooks is an involved process. Hence individuals need to have reflection and then plan as to – how to go about writing the books and publishing the same.
- When individuals get involved in the writing process, they develop creativity, collaboration, communication and critical thinking.