Google PlayStore introduces promo codes for apps, games and in-app purchases. Using this added support on PlayStore, developers will be able to make promo codes, especially for paid apps and for making in-app purchases(but not for subscription content). Promo codes have long been available for iOS users and now Android developers can create them through the Google PlayStore, but there are some limitations.
Developers can also provide certain users with free access to certain content and features using the promo codes. To avail the free features on an app, users have to use a promo code provided by developers. The promo code will also help developers keep the users engaged as developers can create promo codes to suit their requirements.
However, with promo codes Google has put a cap on the number of promotional codes a developer can offer to users. Any developer can only generate 500 free promo codes per app. The 500 code limit includes any combination of app giveaways or in-app promos, though unused codes don’t carry over to the next quarter.
- Developers can use only 500 promo codes per quarter.
- Promo codes cannot be used for subscription content, and if any of the permitted 500 codes remain unused at the end of a quarter, it will not carry into the next quarter.
- Developers can set time limits to promo codes and can even pause a promotion.
The only explanation for Google keeping out promo codes from PlayStore can be that it might adversely affect its revenue from paid apps. Since Google makes quite a sum through paid app subscriptions, giving free passes to users can reduce the money being generated out of user’s pockets.
But now that it’s been incorporated into PlayStore, giving freebees to users might not impact revenue to a larger extent afterall. Since promo codes will actually help promote an app, this could aid developers and Google reach out to more users and keep them engaged.
Google offered up a few suggestions for how the codes could be put to use:
- A game could have a special item, such as a character or decoration, that’s only available to players who attend an event. The developer could distribute cards with promo codes at the event, and users would enter their promo code to unlock the item.
- An app developer might distribute promo codes at local businesses, to encourage potential users to try the app.
- An app developer might give out “friends and family” codes to its employees to share with their friends.