Padma Awards 2016: The most prestigious and revered honours in the county the Padma awards list for the current year is out. The government announced the list of awardees of civilian gallantary awards Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri on the eve of the Republic day. Superstar ‘Rajinikanth’ to be awarded ‘Padma Vibhushan’. Padma Shri for Priyanka Chopra, Ajay Devgn. The government announced the list of awardees of civilian gallantary awards Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri on the eve of the Republic day.
The winners of the Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri awards for the year 2016 have been announced by the government on Monday.
The Awards are conferred in the three categories:
- Padma Bhushan
- Padma Vibhushan
- Padma Shri
- Yamini Krishnamurthi – Classical Dance
- Rajinikanth – Cinema
- Girija Devi – Classical (Vocal)
- Ramoji Rao – Literature and Education (Journalism)
- Viswanathan Shanta – Medicine (Oncology)
- Shri Shri Ravi Shankar – Others (Spiritualism)
- Shri Jagmohan – Public Affairs
- Dr Vasudeva Kalkunte Aatrre – Science & Engineering
- Avinash Dixit (USA) – Literature & Education
- Dhirubhai Ambani – Trade & Industry
- Anupam Kher – Cinema
- Udit Narayan Jha – Playback Singing
- Ram V Sutar – Sculpture
- CAG Vinod Rai – Civil Service
- Heisnam Kanhailal – Theatre
- Yarlagadda Lakshmi – Literature & Education
- NS Ramanuja Tatacharya – Literature & Education
- Barjinder Singh Hamdard – Literature & Education
- Nageshwar Reddy – Gastroenterology
- Swamy Tejomayananda – Spiritualism
- Ujjwal Nikam – Senior Lawyer
- Ajay Devgn – Cinema
- Priyanka Chopra – Cinema
- SS Rajamouli – Cinema
- Malini Awasthi – Singer
Other names in the list of Padma Bhushan awardees include former US Ambassador to India Robert D Blackwill, Sportswomen Saina Nehwal and Sania Mirza and Indu Jain of Bennett, Coleman & Co.
The awards seek to recognise work of distinction and are given for distinguished and exceptional achievements, service in all fields of activities, disciplines such as art, literature and education, sports, medicine, social work, science and engineering, public affairs, civil service, trade and industry.
Nominations are sent in a prescribed proforma available in the website of the Home Ministry along with citation (maximum in 800 words). All persons, except government servants, without distinction of race, occupation, position or sex are eligible for these awards.
It is the usual practice to invite nominations every year from all state governments, Union territories, ministries, departments of the central government. Nominations can be made by Union ministers, Chief Ministers, Governors and Members of Parliament. A self nomination is also acceptable.
The nominations are placed before the Padma Awards Committee, constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
Nominations may be sent to the Union Home Minister or Union Home Secretary to their offices in North Block in New Delhi.